12 Things You Didn’t Know About
February 8, 2019
Marijuana is ancient, complex, and fascinating. Don’t believe us? Check out this list of surprising facts!
- Archeologists discovered a 2,500 year-old grave in China where a man had been buried with thirteen ceremonial cannabis stalks.
- In the early 1900s in America, cannabis (marijuana)was commonly used in pharmaceutical tinctures. Vendors were not required to print it as an ingredient on packaging.
- In the 1920s and 1930s, state governments made cannabis illegal against the wishes of the federal government. The movement was largely a response to public fear of Mexican immigrants who brought ‘marijuana’ across the border during the Mexican Revolution.
- The first Internet transaction in history occurred in 1971 when Stanford and MIT students bargained for a bag of cannabis using ARPANET, an Internet precursor.
- In the Rastafari religion, cannabis is a sacred herb condoned by the Bible for use in group meditation and to develop wisdom. Bob Marley was buried with his Bible, his guitar, and marijuana.
- No one has died from an overdose of cannabis. To die from cannabis, one would have to consume 1,500 pounds in 15 minutes. Nonetheless, overdose symptoms are unpleasant and most common when people eat too many edibles waiting for the delayed onset of effects.
- In India, marijuana is infused into a milkshake known as bhang and consumed during religious festivals. Cannabis is the herb of Shiva, Hindu god of destruction.
- During World War II, the United States experimented with cannabis as a truth serum to use on captured spies.
- Marijuana has grown more potent in recent decades due to more advanced and selective breeding practices. Namely, levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) have increased and levels of cannabidiol (CBD) have generally decreased.
- Spiders under the influence of marijuana spin bad webs because they get distracted and don’t finish.
- California was the first state to legalize marijuana for medicinal use in 1996; Colorado and Washington were the first states to legalize marijuana for recreational use in 2012. Uruguay was the first country to legalize recreational marijuana in 2013.
- Research has demonstrated that marijuana smoke is less harmful than tobacco smoke on our lungs. Cannabis is used for pain management in cancer patients, and CBD may have anti-cancer properties.
There are too many fun facts to fit in one post. Got one? Share it with us!